Back to the Thai dessert, I liked the recipe I found in About.com. Not only it's easy to follow but it also has the most minimal ingredients that I was able to see online. So off I went to get glutinous rice from a nearby Indian store which sells it cheaper than the grocery store.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
For the sauce:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- Soak the rice overnight. This will help you cook the rice faster.
- Do not drain the rice. Add the water, plus 1/4 can coconut milk, salt, and brown sugar.
- Bring to a slow boil. Don't fully cover the pan to let steam out. Let simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
- Once the liquid has been fully absorbed by the rice, turn off the heat. Let it stand for 10 minutes.
- For the sauce, pour the coconut milk into a pan. Slowly add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Check the sweetness and adjust according to how you like it. Take note, the sweetness will lessen once it will be added to the rice.
- Assemble the rice by using a mold (square or round shaped) and arrange in on a plate. Pour the sauce and top with mango slices. Put extra sauce in a bowl in case anybody wants more of it.
- Serve and enjoy.
|Instead of cubing the mangoes, I sliced them like a fan.|
Ready to be served
I also did another plating, I used a small square container to shape the sticky rice. I was hoping to get the more "snobbish, restaurant look" but I guess my attempt failed. :(