Monday 23 April 2012

Lumpiang Shanghai


I had a hard time deciding what to cook for lunch because I only had ground meat in the fridge. Then I remembered, I wasn't able to eat Lumpiang Shanghai in Davao last month. Darn that tight schedule. So today, we're having Lumpiang Shanghai for lunch! :)

Ingredients
  • 200 grams ground lean pork 
  • 1 tsp onion powder (can use fresh medium onion, chopped)
  • 1 carrot, grated 
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce 
  • 1 tsp black pepper 
  • 1 tsp garlic powder 
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1 pc medium sized egg
  • 20-30 pcs spring roll wrappers 
  • 1 1/2 cup canola oil for frying 

Directions:

In a bowl, combine ground pork and shredded carrot. You can opt to use fresh onions instead of onion powder.  I only used onion powder because I don't like fresh ones :) It's better to use your hands when mixing the meat.

Using a smaller bowl, combine all the seasonings (soy sauce, pepper, garlic/onion powder, and salt). Mix well before adding into the meat mixture.  Add the egg and combine thoroughly.  Just a tip, try to fry a tablespoon of the mixture to try the taste.

Use a flat plate and lay out the wrappers. Place a tablespoon or two in a line on the center of the wrapper. The filling should be about half an inch thick and leave about half an inch space on both sides of the wrapper. Roll from one side up to the top sealing the roll but leaving the sides open.  Cut the rolls into 4 or 5 pieces depending on your liking.

Heat the oil on a heavy skillet. Make sure the oil is really hot to cook the rolls thoroughly, not just the wrapper.  When the lumpia turns brown, you can turn it over and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Serve with sweet and sour sauce and lotsa rice!



shredded carrots

Thick spring roll wrappers


Rolled and cut into small pieces

Crunchy spring rolls

9 comments:

  1. Perfect sa rice! Wish ko lang pwede akong mag rice LOL. Looks yummy Dits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so yummy! Now I'm craving for lumpiang shanghai =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I love lumpiang shanghai! :) Thanks for sharing your recipe. Try namin soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want some!! i also didn't get the chance to munch on Lumpia Shanghai in davao. rawrrr!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lumpiang shanghai!!! :)

    www.joeiandme.com
    Please LIKE my Facebook page, if you haven't yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love lumpiang shanghai too! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, these look absolutely delicious! I remember my mom making these very often, and I could never get enough! I doubt it would be any different if I tried making theses ;) yum!

    ReplyDelete