- 1 lb eggplant (the oval shaped, dark skinned type)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- sea salt
- coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cheese (feta or mozzarella)
- 2/3 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 medium-sized bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a 9 inch pan. Set aside.
- In a pan, saute onion, garlic and bell peppers. Add tomato puree and paste. Season with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Let simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a mandoline, slice the eggplant thinly. Coat each side with olive oil.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Top with crumbled cheese and the tomato sauce.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the eggplant becomes tender.