Here's what you need:
- 1/2 kilo glutinous rice, soaked overnight
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- banana leaves for wrapping
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- Soak the glutinous rice in water. Do this the night before cooking it or at least 5 hours.
- In a deep pot, mix the sugar, coconut milk, water and salt. Let it simmer until it boils.
- Once the mixture is boiling, add the soaked glutinous rice. Cook until the rice has absorbed all the liquid mixture.
- Check if the rice cooked. Make sure it's fluffy and tender. Remove from heat.
- Wrap the rice immediately on the banana leaves. Make sure the leaves are soft enough to be folded and won't tear. If not, you can soak these into boiling water then dry roast them over a griller.
- Put all the wrapped suman in a deep pot and fill with water just the same level of the contents. Boil for an hour.
- To make latik, mix brown sugar with coconut milk in a pot. Bring to boil until mixture becomes thick.
- Serve suman with latik.