Wednesday 22 February 2012

The Husband's Birthday - Pineapple Carrot Cake

Way back in high school, I can vividly remember my Nanay baking a carrot cake. Being estranged to veggies back then, it felt weird having a cake with veggies! I mean, cakes are supposed to be just made of sugar, eggs and flour! 
When I met my co-worker who was gaga about carrot cakes, I thought, "Why not give it a shot?" The first bite reminded me of home. True enough, having a slice made me feel the warm love of my Nanay. Cheesy! It's weird that I'm being serious here. Don't forget the artery-clogging cream cheese that leaves a smile on my lips after every bite :)

Before I forget, the reason I made this cake is because, it's the husband's birthday. Happy birthday my every loving, husbandry! :)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 2 cups shredded carrots
  • 1 can (8oz) crushed pineapple
Frosting:
  • 1 pack 8oz. cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 1 tbsp butter, melted
  • 3 tbsp milk

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven at 170 degrees Celsius. Grease two 9 inch pans. Set aside.
  2. Sift the first 5 dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon) Set aside. 
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil. Carefully add the dry ingredients into the mixture. Fold in the shredded carrots, crushed pineapple and chopped walnuts. Continue to beat until well combined.
  4. Divide the batter into the two prepared pans. Bake for about 45 minutes and when the top turns golden brown. You can check by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cake and if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
  5. Un-mold the cakes into cooling rack and let them cool for about 20 minutes.
  6. Prepare the frosting by beating the softened cream cheese in a bowl. Add the sugar carefully and the butter as well. Adjust sweetness according to your preference and if you like it a bit runny, add milk.
  7. Arrange the cake on your preferred container. Place the first layer and spread an even layer of the frosting. Add the second layer and frost all the way to the bottom.
  8. You can decorate the cake with additional chopped walnuts or with festive carrot candies.

before it goes into the oven
Frosting was too runny!

3 comments:

  1. Yes!!!! I could make this sans pineapple, right sis? (But hubby loves pineapple!) Okey, I'm gonna put pineapple then, hehehehe!


    Oopps, before I forgot, HAPPY, HAPPY BRTHDAY to your Hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday , Harassed Dad hahahaha The cake looks yummy ! A sliced or two here , pretty please ?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bechay. hehe you can put coconut flakes if you like. :) Yes, you can opt not to put pineapple :)

    TIta Lis, kadto di! :)

    ReplyDelete