Two weeks ago, I was craving for soft swiss roll with yummy and creamy filling. I don't remember when was the last time I had one. So I thought of searching for an easy recipe. Good thing I found one on Woman scribbles. And I had all the ingredients in our pantry, it was meant to be!! :D
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 370F. Line a greased 10"x15 " cookie sheet with parchment paper. Prepare another parchment of roughly the same size and lay it on a table.
- Combine cake flour and baking powder in a bowl.
- Beat egg yolks and half of the sugar until you achieve a pale yellow, lemon color. Add in the oil and milk and beat for a few seconds.
- Sift the flour mixture over the yolks.
- Fold the flour into the yolk using a rubber spatula until combined.
- Whisk egg whites with an electric mixer until foamy and add in cream of tartar. Continue whisking while adding remaining sugar little by little until stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Pour and level into the baking sheet and tap to release air bubbles.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove cake from pan and cool on a wire rack.
For the filling, I made a simple mango buttercream frosting since I didn't have whipped cream at hand. Just whip 1 cup softened butter with 1/3 cup of icing sugar and add 1/2 cup chopped ripe mango slices.
Spread the filling on the cooled sponge cake. Roll and chill for at least an hour.
Cut cake before serving. Enjoy!