Is there even a term, cushion-y cupcakes? LOL If there's none, then I'm claiming it. Seriously, these cupcakes were fluffy, smooth and it almost melts in your mouth!
My online baking buddy, Tiyay Lisa, the fab lady behind the blog, www.mybarecupboard.com has inspired me to make these fluffy, heavenly yum yums. Tiyay, I was in chiffon heaven!!
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup corn oil
- 1/8 milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1/8 tsp baking powder (sift together with cake flour)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 cup + 1 tsp caster sugar
- 60 grams whipping cream
- 10 grams sugar
- 1 tsp custard powder
- 5 tsp strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 175℃。
2. In a bowl, whisk egg yolks with salt. Then add oil, milk and vanilla extract, whisk till well-blended.
3. Fold in flour mixture and set aside.
4. In another bowl, beat egg whites , sugar and cream of tartar to stiff peak.
5. Scoop 1/3 of the egg white mixture to the yolk batter, fold well, then pour batter back to the remaining egg whites. Fold lightly till well-mixed.
6. Fill baking cases with about 30-32g of batter. Bake for 20 mins, then leave to cool.
7. Beat cream with sugar until stiff, add in the custard powder, mix well. Pipe on top of the cupcakes.
8. Add a small dollop of jam on top. Chill before serving.