Thursday 26 January 2012

Chili Garlice Sauce

One would think that since I'm in Singapore, I would be happy because of the Chinese food. But unfortunately, I'd still choose Hongkong for my siomai and spare ribs fix. You see, the food here is strongly influenced by Malay cuisine and sometimes I think, Indian as well. Actually, I noticed it's more of Malaysian -- which they call Peranakan. Don't get me wrong here, I like the food. But if this is what you see everyday I'm sure you would understand where I'm coming from. :) They usually have this chili sauce which they just put all the ingredients into a blender and that's it. (See this for a sample recipe and how it looks like) I'm not used to this kind of chili. I want the cooked chili with lotsa garlic bits! Because of this dilemma, I have thought of making my own chili garlic sauce. Good thing, it was a success.  :)

Ingredients:
  • 20 dried chilies, minced
  • 1 1/2 - 2 bulbs garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup peanut oil/vegetable oil
Directions:

1. Mince the chilies and garlic. Before mincing the chilies, make sure to remove the seeds. You may adjust the amount of garlic according to your preference.
2. Mix chilies and garlic in a pan. Add oil.
3. Cook over low heat for about 20-30 minutes until garlic becomes crunchy and chilies turn dark red.
4. Let mixture cool before putting into jar.

In the bottle
I have tried using the fresh chilies before but the Husband said it was not as spicy as the previous one that I made. So in case you want you try another kind of chili, you may not get the "hot-ness" that you want. Hee hee

I think you could also opt to add dried shrimps, salt and even lemon. This I have yet to try next time. For now, I'm off to have siomai (siew mai) for my lunch and definitely use my chili garlic sauce with calamansi (Philippine Lemon) and light soy sauce. :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow ! You made some !!! It would be a good , no, make it great dipping sauce for my turnip cake hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi! Try it with any fried goody and you'll surely love it :)

      Delete