Hankering for some mouthwatering chicken souvlaki? There’s no need to troop all the way to a Greek taverna when you can easily make your own. This recipe makes use of a classic, all-around marinade that works equally well with pork and lamb. Fire up your grill and cook away!
For the marinade:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp chopped red onions
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cubed
For the tzatziki
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup seeded and diced cucumber
- 1 (125-ml) pack plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced into 16 cubes
- 4 small onions, quartered
- 16 cherry tomatoes or 4 small tomatoes, quartered
- olive oil for basting
- grilled pita bread, to serve (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients for the marinade; mix well. Add cubed chicken breast and marinate for 6 hours or overnight.
2. Make the tzatziki: Sprinkle salt on diced cucumber. Place on a strainer and let stand for 30 minutes to draw out the moisture from the cucumber. Mix cucumber with the rest of the ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Thread chicken on a skewer, alternating with 1 zucchini cube, 1 onion quarter, and 1 cherry tomato. Repeat to make a total of 14 to 16 skewers.
4. Lightly brush chicken with oil. Grill on an iron griddle or over charcoal for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve with tzatziki and grilled pita bread, if desired.
|Marinated the chicken overnight|
|Soaked the sticks in water to avoid burning them|