It's Chinese New Year and most stores are closed until tomorrow. Good thing I had some stuff in the kitchen. So I thought of making Chicken Pot Pie for dinner.
What you need:
- Puff pastry (1 recipe)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cubed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 whole chicken breast fillet, cubed
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup soup stock
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 medium sized ramekins
- egg wash (beaten egg + 2 Tbsp milk/water)
1. Thaw your puff pastry at least an hour before preparing everything for your pot pie.
2. In a deep pan, heat 2 cups of water and let it boil. Once water boils, cook the potato and carrot cubes. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes, make sure the veggies are fork tender. Remove water and set aside.
3. In a shallow pan, heat olive oil. Saute onions and garlic.
4. Add mushrooms, chicken cubes. Add corn kernels and the cooked vegetables.
5. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, and herbs that you like. As for me, I used paprika, garlic powder and thyme.
6. Pour a little bit of the soup stock and let everything simmer. Make the mixture thick by mixing in the cornstarch. Adjust consistency according to your liking.
7. Remove from heat and let cool. Prepare puff pastry to roll out and top the pot pie. Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
8. In a flat surface, sprinkle a little bit of flour. Divide into 6 small balls and roll out the dough. Trim the dough to make it half an inch bigger than the lid of the ramekins.
9. Divide the filling into all the ramekins. Cover with the rolled out pastry and crimp to make it stick to the sides. Brush with egg wash and bake for 30-40minutes or until the top is golden brown.
10. Serve while hot.