Friday 25 October 2013

Homemade Churros

When I read Sanna's entry last week, I was reminded of how nice churros are. Crunchy on the outside and soft in the inside. Plus the chance to dip it in chocolate, oh just wow!  When my little girl was asking to eat something new, I thought of making churros! So off we went to the kitchen.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • Cooking oil
  • 1/3 cup sugar + 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder to coat the churros when cooked
For the chocolate sauce:
  • 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
Equipment: a cloth pastry bag or heavy-duty plastic pastry bag; a large star pastry tip
Water, sugar and salt mixture
Flour and piping bag are ready

Forming into a ball

My little helper
Method:

Combine 1/2 cup sugar with the cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Set aside. Line a plate with paper towels.

1. Using a small saucepan, combine water, sugar, salt and oil. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Add in the flour until everything comes together to form a ball.  Put mixture into a piping bag with the star tip.

2. I used my cast iron skillet to fry the churros. But you can use any frying pan that can do little bit of deep frying.  Make sure the oil is hot enough before you pipe in your churros.

3. Pipe the dough to your desired length. I had mine about 3 inches. Cut the churros to release them into the oil, careful not to drop it into the oil to avoid splatter. Fry until they turn golden brown. 

4. Transfer the cooked churros into paper-lined bowl and coating them with the sugar and cinnamon mixture.

5. Prepare the chocolate sauce by melting the chocolate with the heavy cream over double broiler. Stir until mixture becomes smooth. Remove and serve with churros.



Cooked churros sans the coating




6 comments:

  1. I've made churros a few years ago, di na naulit. Hehehe! Napagod ko mag pipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really good in making food:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, looks yummy sis! I want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize that churros are easy to make! I'm tempted to try this and do my own chocolate dip too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Miss Dree ba ! Mommy's little guinea pig lol I've seen churros recipe at Lonely planet's book , maybe I'll try to make it someday .....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Thanks for trying the recipe! That looks salivating, I'd like to make a batch again!

    ReplyDelete